Energy | Magazine Articles | VOL. 13, ISSUE 81, November-December 2013 |

The CFL conundrum

Glowing inside the compact fluorescent lamp is a toxic substance, so poisonous that its direct ingestion can result in death. Mercury, the liquid silver metal that can be seen most commonly in thermometers, has made its way into at least 401 million sockets in homes across India. According to a September 2011 study by Toxics Link, an NGO that works on hazardous waste and products, the mercury content in fluorescent lamps in India varies between 2.27 mg (the size of...

To purchase this article, kindly sign in

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.