LIGHTS, an NGO, began in 2003 as a Society registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860. Following are our objectives:
- To work as a research unit and help create documents and relevant material useful for policy development in specialised areas.
- To be an outreach unit to organize training, conferences, workshops and seminars both national and international among stakeholders in specialised areas where LIGHTS has developed its expertise.
- To undertake field studies and attend/participate in national and international congregations of specialised focus groups.
- To create awareness for better and inclusive living by promoting sustainable practices.
- To conduct technology based training programmes in areas of GIS, automatic weather station and air quality monitoring. Promoting technology enablement for better execution.
- To create a network of teachers/trainers all over the country/world to facilitate interaction for environment related issues.
LIGHTS, a non-profit research and training body with a 7 member governing council and a membership of over 200 consisting of eminent scientists, bureaucrats and academicians undertakes a gamut of responsibilities.
Geography and You (G’nY),(English) and its counterpart Bhugol Aur Aap (Hindi) are two fortnightly journo-mags that encompass various aspects of the multidisciplinary branch of semi-scientific study, embodying works in different genres of science, technology and sociology with a special interest in India. The journo-mag publishes high quality, succinct, academic articles backed by thorough research and references. The journo-mags have completed 20 years and has a readership of nearly one million making it one of India’s authentic and popular publications!
A set of the most relevant and current themes impacting the society is identified through dialogue between the LIGHTS members and its governing council. Pioneering institutions working in the identified fields, publishing their research and body of work with sustained societal impact is then approached. Geography and You has worked with the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), Ministry of Earth Sciences, National Centre for Polar and Ocean Research (NCPOR), Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change, National Physical Laboratory (NPL), among many other reputed institutions for the special issues. It is Geography and You’s appreciation for the need for access to quality information that keeps it going. The journo-mag has undertaken 13 special issues of G’nY. Eight popular issues have been placed here for viewership. Access some of our popular special issues here for free.
Parliamentary and Administrative Research Institute (PARI) was established under the aegis of LIGHTS with a view to undertake meaningful research on parliamentary, administrative and policy issues in India and provide capacity building courses which enable stakeholders to deal with policy formulation and implementation efficiently. The capacity building courses which include Public Policy Management, Public Health Policy Administration and Leadership Programme In Mental Health Systems are tailor-made for officers of the Central Government, State Government, Autonomous bodies and centrally aided institutions. The Faculty at the PARI is headed by Sh. S. Bal Shekar, Former Secretary General, Lok Sabha.
LIGHTS also provides GIS training for teachers, automatic weather station installations and training for universities and colleges and air quality monitoring instrumentation and training for schools. LIGHTS has many successful programmes that showcase its proficiency.
G’nY’s youtube channel, ‘G’nY TV’ produces high quality educational videos, short films and documentaries on a varied range of topics with over 120 videos produced till date. Some of our most popular videos include Sucker Fish, Top 10 endangered species of India among many others. G’nY also has an online presence across all social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.